Monday, February 5, 2007

Freaked Out February

We knew we kicked off the month right when quite by accident I was able to procure an exclusive interview with Barry Hardy from the Harlem Globetrotters. So to kick things off this weekend we will replay this fascinating interview about education. Mr. Hardy can hold an MBA from BYU and can spin a ball at the same time. The Globetrotters play during the Sports Extravaganza Sunday at 2pm.
We met Hardy at the YMCA downtown and invited about sixty of our closest friends to shoot a few hoops with him. You say what you want about Chill With Phil but no one else is giving you The Harlem Globetrotters!!! Tune in to another show- you'll see they have no Globetrotters !


This month we started off these shenanigans with a bang. More on that later- first I wantto tell you that the post office finally found my long lost copy of my long lost film Santa Claus.
Some listings may
still include another film but I had to change my mind as this film (Santa Claus) is just too important. Hecho in Mejico in 1959 it has many distinctions worthy of our attention. It tends to re-write a lot of Santa Claus rules and regulations, there is for example no Rudolf, the reindeer are robots. Santa is aided by magic from a magician named Merlin who can cause temporal displacements allowing Santa to be everywhere in the world at once and the arch enemy of Santa is his anagram namesake Satan. That's right it's Santa VS Satan in Los Luches Libre Action! It also happens to be the first movie I ever saw- which explains why I am so massively screwed in the head. My mom took me to see it at the Westwood in Fort Worth in 1962. It spent several years in non-run until it was picked up by K. Gordon Murray a genius in opportunistic theater. Murray would pioneered what is now called "Four Walling". Basically paying a theater a lump sum of money and keeping the door revenues for himself. This of course would spell financial disaster were he to try this with a Hollywood film but Murray bought the rights to slightly out of date films that were of dubious quality and flooded the area with TV and radio advertising promoting the "One Day Only" showings- sometimes only one showing (usually a matinée) was made. His commercials touted these these films as extraordinary first runs (and in many cases he wasn't lying ) and promised that you would "Never see this film anywhere else". The theater was packed with kids the day I went. This is the first time I have seen Santa Claus since that birthday back in 1962. The one aspect that truly fascinated me was how much about this film was stored in the dark recesses of my mind. Santa's amazing talking telescope and Satan (Old Pitch)'s ability to warp himself around buildings were instantly recognizable as childhood memories for me. This film is not only a real treat in it's rarity but also in it's ability to horrify as well as entertain. I regret not being able to show you the scenes of the tortured damned in hell as they were cut from this Holiday Classic. So gather your children, make them stay up late and freak out with the freakiest Holiday flick ever! This week's show is pre-recorded. Soon I will make my big screen debut in "Edges of Darkness". I play Zombie #321- Coast Guard Guy and I eat Piper Goodwin. Don ran a second camera on the set while we made the one scene I am in. We call it "Rough Edges- The Making of A Scene In Edges of Darkness" and that is this week's Chill With Phil. This could be a major step forward in my career as a Mega-Personality - who knows I could even be as well known as Zombie #112 Hare Krishna Zombie from the original Dawn of the Dead.I do not want you to worry about this, no matter how big I make it I will always remember the little people....


No comments:

We welcome all friends on our My Space

Share Your Feelings about Chill With Phil (all that apply)

Welcome