Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Chill With Philm/ Take My Poll/Win Free Stuff





Please take my poll(s) at your right. It is important feedback for station managers.Also please read all of this down to the last line. Thanks. Now-I want to seriously thank the Corpus Christi Film Society and all the people who participated in the first of what I am certain will be many Corpus Christi Seven Day Film Project. This amazing feat has been accomplished and the results are phenomenal. If you don't know what I am talking about click the link above or hear me out: A few weeks ago the CCFS issued a challenge unique to this genre- register and begin making a film- you have seven days from start to finish. To make certain that no one cheated on the time allotments teams of filmmakers were given specific criteria whic had to be included in the film. These were : Inclusion of a character named Archie Dennis, a photographer, the manila envelope the rules came in must be used as a prop and the line "This changes everything" had to be used in the script.

The CCFS has proven what many have doubted- this town is choc-full-o-talent! That there are amazing people doing amazing things in the seedy underbelly away from the shopping malls and all you can eat buffets which dot our landscape and have become for Corpus Christi our cultural standard.

I finished watching the two disc set a few minutes ago and was astonished that 90% of this work is truly good film making! The remaining ten percent is not even half bad. The themes run from horror and psychodrama to pure comedy-all utilizing the three of the same principal elements of prop,line and character. In some these are central to the plot, in others they are barley noticeable. In some film Archie Dennis is the central figure, in others he is a mere extra. It is fascinating to observe how various individuals can create completely different structures based on the same building blocks. And the amazing part is that they did it in a friggin week. If I go to the laundry and go to the post office during any seven day cycle, my week is done. These people are to be highly lauded and appreciated. It is damned shamed we can't do this everyday. It is damned shame that we need to have contest to bring out the creative energy and talent that seems to be festering like giant pustule ready to explode onto our community.

For me this is a real dream come true! When I started Chill With Phil my vision was to include as many indie films as possible. Along came James L. Bills and Clint Milby who gave me their films to air and introduced me to a couple of others but no matter how hard I tried the ball never got into my court as I would have liked. The Corpus Christi Film Society and the individual filmmakers have given me the opportunity to showcase a lot of the films . This is what we offer you on our Independence Day Chill With Philm (get it- Philm-film-?haha) Spectacular.

There were no losers in this competition. There were grand prizes handed out but every single person and team which even tried to make a film won. I have not been told who won what awards and which were honored at the showing at the House of Rock. I have selected the films you will see tonight on my own personal preferences. I am showing about 30% of all those entered which I have selected because I liked them. The inclusion of any film on this special episode does not convey the opinion of the judges of the event. At a later date I will find out who won what and publish it here.

My best wishes to the CCFS. I pledge to them that I will work very hard to promote this event on an annual basis. I might even enter next year.

What I really want to do is direct.

This comment was posted below:
"Are the pictures of the CC7D hints of what will show that night?"

Not so much hints as just a tiny sample. In the end I chose 12 movies.I want to make it perfectly clear that not being included is no mark of a "bad movie"- no way-...

Many were not included because of potty mouth language. I just do not have the time nor inclination to be the script editor. I am going to suggest that next time we do this films which wish to be shown on air hand me a "broadcast ready" version.

The ones I did choose were the ones which kept my attention for eight minutes. It's that simple.I am in no way to be considered a judge of good films! Look at my schedule to the left! Those are some of my favorites! Not a great benchmark of cinematography! It's just my lousy opinion and if you feel "rejected"- don't. Get with me, I'll find a way to run your film on air.


OUR LONG NATIONAL NIGHTMARE IS OVAH!

PNSII Puff N' Stuff Two The Happy Hookah is now officially open for business and carries my seal of approval. JD and the folks who brought you Puff N Stuff have constructed the nicest cleanest most inviting shop of it's kind. The Happy Hookah is a collection of Hookahs in an environment of peace and tranquility. You can relax and sample herbal blends from around the world at the Hookah bar- play video cames on a huge TV screen and generally hang and have fun- but YOU MUST BE 18. This is not a "Youth Retreat". THH is located at Nile and McArdle - there has been some construction on Nile so drive carefully. Have a blast this Independence Day~


THE PLEASURES OF PRON STARS
I have received so many comments on my exclusive interview with Darien Vain the beautiful and intriguing superstar of Real Sex that I am going to try again next week with Adult Super-Sensation Erika Eve. She is appearing live and in person at Pleasures from the 9th through the 14th. I am working hard to give adult males free admission to this once in a lifetime show but so far I have not made contact with Pleasures to confirm this. Watch this space and I'll let you know what we need to do. Being an Equal Opportunity kind of guy I am asking Michele to host a Girls Night Out Soon, again, watch this space. Also get on my mailing list- just write chillwithphil@ktov.com


  • BROWN BAGS CHOC FULL O FUN ARE BACK! And this week will be awarding eight lucky trivia winners with this amazingly valuable prize! I didn't mention it on air because it came down after taping but though no small effort on Michele Simmon's part we have procured a number of Monster Jam Tickets(Coming to American Bank Center July 22nd) and many of these bags include those tickets- all of them contain a CWP Tee shirt courtesy of CUP Graphics.
CUP is the only company in our area which actually delivers what the promise. I have been so amazingly impressed with what they do. I strongly suggest that if you have any printing needs please choose CUP graphics. They competed my order in a day or so. They have to call me! This in comparison to the others which keep you waiting for weeks and sometimes don't deliver! The rules are simple! You call 533-2206 and you get an answering machine. I can't answer because I am hanging out at Pleasures or The Happy Hookah. Leave you name, a contact number and THE RIGHT answer to your question. I will call you on Monday. You will come to the station and select a bag, whatever is inside, you keep. No changing your mind after you select. No peepsies. No trade backs.But becaue you have been so kind as to read thus far please email me now and subject the mail "MONSTZER" just like that. The first five emails get two Monster jam tickets.

3 comments:

DirkStar said...

Dude, groovy site.

I'll let people know to stop by.

I wish I could get your show in Dayton, Ohio.

Anonymous said...

Are the pictures of the CC7D hints of what will show that night?

Phil Dixon said...

"Are the pictures of the CC7D hints of what will show that night?"

Not so much hints as just a tiny sample. In the end I chose 12 movies.I want to make it perfectly clear that not being included is no mark of a "bad movie"- no way-...

Many were not included because of potty mouth language. I just do not have the time nor inclination to be the script editor. I am going to suggest that next time we do this films which wish to be shown on air hand me a "broadcast ready" version.

The ones I did choose were the ones which kept my attention for eight minutes. It's that simple. It's just my lousy opinion and if you feel "rejected"- don't. Get with me, I'll find a way to run your film on air.

We welcome all friends on our My Space

Share Your Feelings about Chill With Phil (all that apply)

Welcome